Mothering sons in our society is not easy, neither is mothering daughters.
With our destructive media, pressure from peers and a boy's natural inclination to lust after the opposite sex, a mother's work is never done.
My son is turning 8 years old this month and while he is still naive and lives a sheltered life, I can't sit back and wait to talk to him about tough issues, like purity and girls. Because someone else will. The TV programs (Disney Channel) and movies (like Diary of a Wimpy Kid) are not afraid to address the boy/girl issue. I can't be scared either.
When we take the initiative to introduce a Godly standard, everything else he hears or sees will be compared to the high standard God has put into place to protect and provide for His kids.
In my opinion, I think boys 8 and under should be taught:
- to respect girls (even their pesky sisters)
- to never, ever hit a girl
- to open the door for Mom, help her with groceries
- to give Mom and sisters privacy when they dress or shower
- to honor other people's personal space
- to protect their own body from invasion
- to only go to Internet sites approved by parents
- to know their own anatomy (great talk for Dad's)
- to say no to ANYONE (kids and adults) who wants to touch them inappropriately, play sexual games, etc
I think boys 9 thru 11 should be taught:
- about sex (the basics-which have changed since you were a kid)
- about their changing body
- about girls (how they flirt, think, change into young women)
- about the evilness on the Internet (pornography)
- about standing up for what's right (in conversation w/ other boys), even if it means standing alone
- about pressure to be cool and like everyone else (they don't have to have a cell phone or iTouch to be cool-I don't recommend either!)
For boys 12 and up:
Don't hold back. The world isn't. There is an agenda to make sex before marriage the norm. Talk to them about choosing purity. I highly recommend taking your sons on a weekend at 12 or 13 years for a Passport to Purity retreat. At this age, there needs to be CONSTANT communication and supervision regarding sex, purity, pornography, girls, lust, movies, music etc.
What would you add to my age-appropriate lists?