Sunday

THAT Family Tree Society-Issue 58



Picture of the Week:



The Week in Review: Sibling rivalry, who us?


Introduction into The Society:The Miller Mix!



1.    Tell us a little about your blog (name/reason why you blog):

When I first started blogging, I was a single mom with an adopted, toddler son. Then my boyfriend (now husband) entered the picture. And then a cat, and then a dog, and then a baby. Most people think of their families as a unit. I see mine as a mix -- of personalities, of DNA, of needs and wants. Thus, the Miller Mix was born.

2.    How long have you blogging?

 At the Miller Mix since 2005, before that at Diaryland since 2001.  

3.    How would you define THAT family?  

For me, THAT family is the one that breaks the mold, that stands out in a crowd (often for all the wrong reasons). Around here, we are THAT family because our son is biologically my nephew and my husband's cousin -- making us related in a very hillbilly way. THAT family is the one strangers come up to in public saying "bless your heart" about something -- for example, when my son is vibrating in his seat and my daughter is channeling the evil within, or when my husband insists on wearing his Volunteer orange from head to foot because it's game day and who cares that we live in Tarheel and Wolfack country, or when I try to avoid the judgemental glances when my daughter pulls out all of her hairbows and kicks off her shoes in the middle of the grocery store while whining for gummy snacks. You know THAT family -- they just don't behave like "normal" people do.

4.    When did you discover you were a part of THAT family?

  I think I was born into THAT family, but I knew starting my own branch was inevitable when I was in grad school and decided to return to the south to raise my sister's child while she recovered from a serious substance addiction. Then I fell for the best friend of my ex (and cousin to my sister's ex/the father of my newly adopted baby) when he returned from living on the side of a mountain in east Tennessee. I really had no hope for a family other than THAT one, did I? Some might call us Jerry Springer, but we're just THAT family. 

5.    Where can we find your blog? 
Come visit us at http://www.themillermix.com



blog comments powered by Disqus