Monday

One Month to Live

I've thought a lot about life lately.


And death.

Yeah, I know. Probably not the way you wanted to start your day.

It seems like there has been a wave of sickness and danger circling around some of the people I know and love the last couple of weeks. In one day, I heard the word cancer 6 times.

And although I'm not really a 'sky is falling' kind of person, I seriously believe that our world is headed for some hard times.

What if you had one month to live?  What would you do? Would you change things? Or would you live exactly as your living today?

Genny at My Cup 2 Yours is asking this question based on the same titled book by Kerry and Chris Shook.

Over the past two months, my life has taken a strange turn. I feel an urgency I can't describe. I want to play a vital role in The Persecuted Church. I've been challenged slow down our lives and to turn off the TV.I desire to parent intentionally. And I want to give more than I ever have.

And before you vote for me to be Sainted, know that I'm just a Mom. Remember? And a major member of THAT family? 

But I've been turned inside out. I saw the reflection of my heart and intent in the pure hearts of my Russian friends and I didn't like what I saw.  

If I had one month to live, I wouldn't change a thing.

Because God is changing me.

How about you? Would you change anything?

10 comments:

Genny said...

Kristen,

You have such a beautiful heart, and I'm always inspired by reading your posts. This one gave me goosebumps...thank you for joining me in this! And thank you for the awesome reminder that God is always at work. :)

Natalie said...

oh wow. i was thinking that i want to be able to say that i would do nothing different but i don't think i am there yet. getting there. but not there. anyway, i wrote a post today that speaks to this. stop by for a read if you have time.

Unknown said...

wouldn't change a thing, just keep puttin' one foot in front of the other on this path to Peace.

marky said...

Yes..I would quit my job and play more with my kids and my husband!

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

I'm with you. God is definitely working on me. . .I just can't imagine what the finished product will be. I love to read your writing--DON'T go anywhere, please (if you're even thinking of it)!!

Lisa said...

I love the way you make me stop and think. Yes, I would change things. I would do some things very different. I would make that time for my parents, kids and friends that I have put on hold for the rest of this year while I finish some college classes. I would try to go see a few places in the U.S. that I have always wanted to see...Mr. Rushmore and the Grand Canyon. I would hate to think I only have a month...there is so much more life to live and I hope that God blesses me with many more years. But who knows?

Kristy K said...

Thanks for this post. This topic has been in the forefront of my mind since July when my brother died, at just 28 years old. I'm 31 and I've already lived three years longer than he was able to.

I notice I let a lot of things go now... the house, the cooking, the yardwork can all wait. I used to be so crazy about those things. But what can't wait are the kids, my hubby and those who are lost.

They say that in grief, you are given a gift, and I truly think my gift has been the gift of seeing life not as if it will go on forever, but instead as if it can end at any second. Because it can.

You're awesome. I wish you were my next door neighbor!

a Tonggu Momma said...

I can't help but wonder if hearing about my friend Rosie added to that cancer total. I'm so sorry for all you know and love who struggle with this awful thing.

I, too, have been wondering what this means for my life. Rosie was sick for a long time, but she was doing so, so well the past two months. She was driving just eight days before her death.

I don't yet know what this looks like for my life, but I do know that the Tongginator and I took a mental health day today... we "cut school" and visited friends. It was a time of prayer and fellowship. I feel much more serene now.

Unknown said...

Wonderful post! I'll be posting about the same thing later this week.

I love that you wouldn't change a thing and how you're already making so many changes!

What a blessing that God gave you your Russian friends!

Growin' With It said...

what a FABULOUS perspective on this one. i've really enjoyed this idea genny has come up with and i love ending my reading today on your post. so true that God is changing me as well and it will always be a process til i go home. and i for one am very grateful that He is!!